If you’re looking for gourmet ingredients, creative chefs. incredible wine lists, and unparalleled service, Montreal could just be as close as you’ll get to culinary heaven. By no means exhaustive, these are some of our favourite places to recommend to our guests:
1.Maison Publique 4720 Marquette, (514) 507-0555; Backed by Jamie Oliver and run by the incredibly talented chef Derek Dammann, this little Plateau gem is the perfect place for a relaxed brunch with a menu that will surprise you and a great choice of craft beers. The open kitchen allows you to see this world-class chef in action.
2. Pastaga 6389 St. Laurent Blvd., (438) 381-6389; This elegant eaterie, located between Mile End and Little Italy, is a cozy, fine dining experience with an excellent organic wine list. Don’t miss the maple-laquered pork.
3. Joe Beef 2491 Rue Notre-Dame Ouest, (514) 935-6504; Hard to snag a table here but very much worth the effort – this Montreal culinary landmark is a must-eat for any foodies out there. Famous for its lobster spaghetti and horse steak.
4. Au Pied de Cochon 536 Avenue Duluth Est, (514) 281-1114; This Montreal darling is a homage to everything pork – from the trotters to the heart. Great duck and fois gras options too. Book well in advance
5. Le Club Chasse et Peche 423 Rue St-Claude, (514) 861-1112; Haut cuisine in an informal dining room in Old Montreal. The cellar-like atmosphere gives the place a secret speakeasy vibe, and the food is first class
6. L’express 3927 Rue Saint-Denis, 514-845-5333; a veritable Montreal institution, this place is packed with in-the-know locals from 8am until the wee hours. Old-fashioned charm and good french bistro food.
7. Dominion Square Tavern 1243 Metcalfe St, (514) 564-5056; An upscale gastro pub in the heart of downtown Gorgeous vintage feel, excellent cocktails, and they serve bangers and mash like you’ve never tasted before.
8. Toqué! 900 Place Jean-Paul-Riopelle, (514) 499-2084; An excellent, upscale option for a romantic or business dinner, this award-winning establishment has one of the most interesting tasting menus in town.
9. O Noir 1631 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, (514) 937-9727; For something completely different, how about dinner in the dark? Blind waiters lead you to your table, and you can choose to order from the menu or choose a surprise dish and guess what you’re eating.
10. Norah Gray 1391 Saint Jacques Ouest, (514) 419-6672; A chic, Parisian-feel restaurant with delicious, Italian inspired food. This Griffintown offering is definitely worth reserving for a boisterous friday night meal.